Since 2015, hoverboards have become popular in the United States, but many people are still concerned about the safety of these devices. Before you hop on one of these self-balancing two-wheeled boards, consider the risks and safety tips below, brought to you by the San Diego auto insurance experts at American Tri-Star.
News reports have revealed a number of instances where the lithium batteries that power these devices have spontaneously caught fire. Because of this, most major airports have consequently banned the use of hoverboards, and many public institutions are doing the same.
Hoverboards aren’t as easy to use as they look, and falls have sent many people to the emergency room. Most injuries involve cuts and bruises, twisted knees or ankles, or sprained fingers from trying to prevent a bad landing. However, falls on hard surfaces can also lead to broken bones or head damage, which can be much more serious.
Tips to Stay Safe
- Protect yourselfwhen riding– Wear proper helmets and wrist, knee, and elbow pads
- Start slowly – If you’re new to hoverboards, make sure there’s someone close for support in case you lose your balance
- Don’t overestimate your abilities – Adults don’t necessarily have more control than children, and they may even be at risk of greater injury
- Use on smooth, even surfaces – Debris, ridges, and other obstacles may seem minor, but anything causing abrupt stops can lead to a fall
- Don’t ride into traffic – There have been reports of people on hoverboards being injured or killed by cars
Believe it or not, you can get hoverboard insurance. However, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission has ruled them unsafe, and you could be liable for damages if anyone on your property is injured while using one. If there is an accident, document it, leave the hoverboard and the accident scene as it is, and call your insurance agent.
To learn more about insurance options for your hoverboard, contact Tri-Star Insurance. We are a leading provider of cheap San Diego car insurance and also offer affordable options for motorcycle, RV, and many other types of insurance. Call 619-272-2100 to speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable representatives.