Believe it or not, owning a dog can actually factor into the cost of your home insurance policy. Some dogs bite, and one of the main functions of homeowners insurance is providing liability in the event of an injury on your property. The staff at American Tri-Star National City discusses how breeds factor into the equation and offers tips on preventing bites and keeping your insurance rates low.
What Is Breed Profiling?
In California, there are no laws that consider a specific dog breed dangerous. However, some National City home insurance companies may have varying rates, require additional paperwork, or even refuse to issue a policy if you own a breed of dog considered a high risk for biting. This form of breed discrimination does not take a particular dog or owner’s history into account. Insurance companies make the determination simply by looking at the average number of bites attributed to a particular breed.
The list of “dangerous” breeds can change from year to year but typically includes breeds such as:
- Pit Bull
What Steps Can You Take to Prevent Dog Bites?
Being a responsible pet parent is the key to preventing dog bite insurance claims. Even if your dog is not known to bite, it’s always better to err on the side of caution. A few ways you can prevent bites include:
- Supervising your dog around strangers, especially children
- Avoiding playing with your dog in an aggressive way
- Making sure your dog’s vaccinations are current
- Spaying or neutering your dog to make it less likely to wander or become aggressive
How Can You Keep Your Insurance Rate Low When Owning a Dog?
Homeowners with dogs, especially those with “dangerous” breeds, need not fear they are out of options. These tips may help you get a lower rate on your insurance:
- Enroll your dog in obedience, socialization, or Canine Good Citizen classes
- Install kennels, fences, and other safeguards if your dog will be outside
- Consider a separate policy just for your dog to cover liability and medical expenses
If you have additional questions about the effects dogs can have on home insurance policies, get in touch with Tri-Star Insurance. In addition to home insurance, we also offer affordable commercial, health, auto, and RV insurance National City residents trust. Give us a call today at 619-474-3900 and one of our representatives would be happy to help you select the policy you need.